- Premier League | Analysing the top-four race - July 5, 2020
- GAA | Shane Dowling retires from inter-county hurling - July 2, 2020
- Part Two | Ranking every Premier League team’s return to action - June 28, 2020
Conor McGregor has been handed a six month ban by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.
‘The Notorious’ has also been fined $50,000 for his part in the brawl that took place in the aftermath of his defeat to Khabib Nurmagomedov at UFC 229 last year.
McGregor’s ban will be backdated to October 6th, the night of the fight, meaning he could potentially return to the octagon in April.
“I am thankful for the Nevada Athletic Commission’s fair assessment and handling of the brawl incident,” the Dubliner wrote on Twitter.
“It was not my intention to land the final blow of the night on my opponent’s blood relative.
“It’s just how it played out. I look forward to competing again soon.”
Khabib has received a nine month ban for his role in the post-fight fracas, and will also have to pay a $500,000 fine.
The Russian can reduce his ban to six months if he participates with Las Vegas police in an anti-bullying public service announcement, but his agent Ali Abdelaziz says Khabib is “done with Vegas”.
“He’s done with Vegas for giving his brothers such harsh punishment,” Abdelaziz told ESPN after today’s hearing.
“He loves MSG [Madison Square Garden]. Lots of his fans live around there, and New York has always been good to him. He misses fighting in New York.”
Abubakar Nurmagomedov – Khabib’s cousin and fellow fighter – and Zubaira Tukhugov ahve both received 12-month bans and $25,000 fines for their participation in the brawl.